In this new article, we give you a heads up on how to start a successful blog.
Let’s get started!
Blogging In 2021-2022: How To Start A Successful Blog With No Experience
Nowadays, blogging has become a business of its own, but before, it used to be something you called a hobby when people asked you what you do in your free time.
Big corporations, brands, and online businesses now make sure they have a blog, whether it is to attract more traffic to their website or to establish better relationships with their customers.
But you don’t have to be a successful businessman or a CEO of a big firm to start your own blog.
You don’t even have to be a professional writer, because blogging has never been easier than in 2021.
Here are eight steps that will teach you how to start a successful blog with no experience.
Pick Your Topic
Believe it or not, but a lot of people who say they want to start a blog don’t do it just because they are stuck on the very first step of creating one: picking the topic you will write about.
One of the biggest fears beginner bloggers have is that nobody will read their blog.
Maybe it is because they think they aren’t skilled enough or maybe it is because they want to write about their lives and think that nobody will care or maybe it is because they think nobody will be interested in what they chose to write about.
Do you see a pattern there?
All of these fears stem from overthinking.
But instead of rolling all of these negative thoughts inside your head, let’s look at what has been proven to be effective and actually works.
Here’s what successful bloggers say about starting a successful blog in 2021/22:
- Don’t write about yourself: If you want to make money with your blog (and you probably do), you must write about something that interests people, something that will help them. Your life is probably not as entertaining as you think, so opting for turning your blog into a personal diary is a bad idea.
- Choose something you like: The first several months will be difficult. Blogging takes a lot of dedication, time, and hard work. If you are not ready to commit, then don’t even consider blogging, because it is not a get-rich-fast business. If you do think you can stand through these several weeks of silence, then you should choose something you like. Being passionate about what you are writing about will motivate you to go on even on the darkest of days.
- Solve people’s problems: As strange as it may sound, you must solve people’s problems. Your readers will only come to your blog when they need something and you should be able to give them what they want. If you are able to answer their question or make their life easier, they will gladly come back for more advice.
Now that you know the three main criteria, you can pick a topic.
Sometimes, what you like will not coincide with what people want and what can solve their problems.
This is when you will have to come to a compromise and find a way out of this situation.
One great option is a lifestyle blog.
It will allow you to write on a variety of topics and talk about anything from choosing an outfit to fixing the sound on a smartphone.
Come Up With Your Domain Name
You’ve picked your topic.
Now, you have to choose a domain name (which is just a more complicated way of saying a website name).
Many people think that a domain is not important, but consider this: if Adidas was not called Adidas but something like “Sportswear For Everyone”, would you still buy its products?
Would it even be so successful and well-known?
Would every other person know what you are talking about when you said its name?
The name of your blog will determine the way people see it.
This is why it must reflect what your blog is about.
Think of it as your own brand.
Here are some tips on coming up with a name for your blog:
- Easy To Remember: The name of your blog (or its domain, it’s practically one thing) should be easy to remember. Nobody wants to have to memorize a whole sentence. Your brain would simply delete it deeming it unnecessary. But a short, concise phrase that stays in your mind for a long time is something you must aim for.
- Easy To Spell: Just like it should be easily remembered, people must also be able to spell it. There is no need to use words that would only be used by college professors talking about philosophy. You are writing for people just like you who have no time to check the dictionary to see if they spelled the name of your blog wrong and can’t find it because of that. Everyday words are totally fine.
- Keep It Short: Once again, don’t make your domain a sentence! Even a single word will be enough if you can manage that. If not, stick to phrases that are two to five words long. Anything longer than that already takes up too much space.
- Make It Relatable: Not in the sense of being relatable to the reader (though that could also be a big plus), but related to what your blog is about. If you write about caring for dogs, don’t name your blog “Flower Garden”. The name you choose must reflect the content you produce and the tone you keep.
Catchphrases are also a great way to go.
If you can’t think of anything, try writing down different words related to your topic or the way you feel and then combine them to create a name for your blog.
Once you have one, make sure to choose its availability and then register it.
Choose Your Platform
While there are many free options available to you, you must remember that you will not be able to make money with a free blog.
Unfortunately, it is true for a number of reasons:
- When you use a free service, you don’t own your blog or your website content.
- You will have limited support and limited options to customize your design.
- You will have restrictions for monetizing your blog and putting ads on your website.
- Some platforms will even put their own ads on your website distracting your readers.
- Your blog won’t look professional which may lead to you being denied approval for some affiliate marketing programs.
As you can see, creating a free blog is not an option, which means you will have to turn to a paid platform.
One of such is WordPress which is the most popular blogging platform at the moment.
WordPress will allow you to keep your website self-hosted which, in turn, will let you customize it and get the most out of your blog in all senses.
In fact, WordPress itself is free.
What you’ll have to pay for is hosting.
Buy Hosting For Your Blog
In order for your site to function, you will have to host your files on a server.
There are free and paid hosting providers, but, of course, the free ones limit your options and you won’t be able to make money with them.
If you want to make blogging your business, then paying for hosting is your only way to go.
One of the best hosting providers recommended by WordPress itself is DreamHost.
It’s a very popular one and doesn’t cost much which makes it a great choice for beginners.
Moreover, you will be able to get a free domain for a year as long as you buy hosting for 12 months at once.
In order to register a new domain name and start hosting your website, go to the DreamHost website and follow the instructions to buy your hosting.
You will be able to choose from different plans, but because you are only starting out, the best one for you is the Basic plan.
A Successful Blog Starts With The Installation Of WordPress
Once you register with Bluehost, you will have to install WordPress.
But don’t worry: Bluehost will install it for you at the end of the registration process.
All you will have to do is create a password and follow the instructions.
In case you have any questions while completing the process, you can open the live chat on Bluehost’s site and ask about the issues you are concerned about.
Once you are done setting all of this up and you have installed WordPress, you can finally let out the air you’ve been holding in and finally relax. This is where the fun part begins.
Select A Theme For Your New Blog
A theme is basically the design of your blog.
There are many free ones, and yes, this time, you can choose any you like.
Moreover, you will be able to change it later in case you get bored or tired of it.
Most WordPress themes will provide you with different key elements of your website: page layout, color, font styling, widget locations, and navigation menus.
You can customize any of these however you like!
If you like the look and feel of how Infobunny looks then we use the Virtue Premium Theme.
If you do like the look of Virtue Premium then make sure that you check out the Kadence Membership.
It is great value for money and offers you access to all their premium themes and additional plugins that they create specifically for their themes.
As well as the paid versions of the Kadence themes there are also free versions that you can use.
Here are some tips on setting up the appearance of your website:
- Choose Colors Wisely: Your initial instinct may be to simply select the ones that are your favorite, but colors have to be thought through. If you are blogging about food, it’s not a good idea to use purple or blue because it turns down the appetite. If you want to look professional and more business-like, then using bright colors together like pink and yellow might go off as childish. Carefully research the meaning of color before choosing them for your blog.
- The Layout Is Everything: If you are planning to include photography in your blog, then a layout that keeps an accent on the text will not be very beneficial for you. Instead, opt for a gallery-centered theme. The side panels or additional columns, the upper and lower banners, and even the space for your logo and site name are all important for the overall appearance of your blog.
- Pages & Sections: Of course, you will be able to add and remove pages later, but wouldn’t it be better to set these things up right now? Your main page will definitely contain all of the articles, but you should also have a contact page and maybe even an about page. Once (if ever) you introduce your own merchandise or products, you can set up a page for your “shop”. If you write books, you can have a separate page for your e-books. Think of the sections you need and include the ones you will definitely use.
Find Plugins For You
After you set up your blog, you can start installing plugins onto it.
There are some that are free while others will require you to pay for a subscription or make a one-time purchase.
Of course, you may want to go without plugins at all, but you will definitely get interested in them at some point because plugins can make your life easier.
As a quick guide, here are the five types of plugins you should consider for your blog:
- For Backup: These plugins back up the data on your website and store it somewhere in case your site gets hacked.
- Security: These plugins make sure that your blog is protected properly. They can also detect a bot trying to find weak places on your site in order to then hack it.
- For Contact: These plugins provide visitors with a way to get in touch with you, usually by creating a fillable contact form.
- Social Sharing: These plugins add share buttons to let your visitors share your content to social media platforms.
- For SEO: These plugins help you optimize your content for search engines.
Creating Content For Your New Blog
You can finally start creating content for your new blog.
Write your first post about how excited you are to be starting this new blog, or maybe simply introduce your website to your future readers that are surfing the World Wide Web right at this very moment.
Creating compelling content is a topic for a different article, simply because this is not something you can explain in one or two paragraphs.
But for the sake of kickstarting your inspiration and getting the mechanisms in your mind turning, here are some tips:
- Quality Over Quantity: Remember that your blog is only as good as your content. Don’t try to produce huge amounts of text every day in hopes that it will attract more readers. On the contrary, focus on the quality of your content. Solve your readers’ problems, after all!
- Formatting Is Your Friend Now: Organizing your text in nice short paragraphs, adding a title and sub-headings, using bullet-point lists, structuring your articles into an introduction, a body, and a conclusion – these are the keys to success. Blocks of text make people’s eyes hurt and their minds tell them that there is nothing valuable to be found in such articles.
- Visuals Are Informative: Your articles should have at least a cover image to look appealing, but if you add photographs, illustrations, or infographics within the text, it will make your content look even better. Keep in mind that the majority of your readers are visual learners and process information better when they see it.
- Search Engine Optimization: Lastly, don’t forget to optimize your content for search engines. Use the corresponding keywords, work on your meta description, make your titles “speak”.
Creating content is hard work and time-consuming.
Allowing guest posts is an option that you can consider to help grow your new blog fast.
Just be mindful that the motive behind any guest post is not just for a backlink to a product or service.
Guest posts should be good quality and never thin short-form content and certainly not already published elsewhere or scraped from another site.
Check any submitted quest posts for plagiarism issues.
This is easy to do online with the plagiarism checkers like Writix and SmallSEOTools.
Both are free and easy to use.
Blogging In 2021: How To Start A Successful Blog With No Experience – Takeaways
All in all, blogging is definitely one of the best ways to promote yourself or your brand.
You might want to switch from blogging part-time to make it your full-time job or business, but those plans can be set aside for the future.
For now, you are only starting out, but you are already standing firmly on the steady ground as you look confidently into the bright future.
Good luck blogging!
Regards Frank Hamilton
That’s all for now.
So are you looking to start a successful blog?
Do you already have a successful blog?
Let us know in the comments below.
Make sure that you subscribe so you are notified when we reply.
Why You Should Do an SEO Competitor Analysis On Your Site Today
This was really informative, thank you
I agree with empress
Thanks for this amazing information its really very helpful for me once aging thanks for this amazing information
very informative. Its a great start to lead to the full picture. Would you agree ?
well explained about blogging.
Thanks Frank! this is very helpful. I believe choosing the perfect blog niche is the key factor to decide if the blog will succeed or not !
Bloggingate recently posted…What is a Blog?
A great way to start a blog for sure. This article will truly help people looking to start a blog online and have never done it before.
Cacey Taylor recently posted…Affiliate Marketing Strategy – Important Aspects of Affiliate Marketing
Hey. Mr. Frank Hamilton,
Thanks for teaching us, How to start a useful blog. it’s really amazing dude.
Thanks for this amazing information its really very helpful for me once aging thanks for this amazing information
Sunny Bundel recently posted…How To Start a Blog (in 2020) – Easy Guide for Beginners
Digital roy Academy
Good one 🙂 Thank you:)
An incredible method to begin a blog without a doubt. This article will really help individuals hoping to begin a blog on the web and have never done it.